Monday, June 1, 2015

Of Dragons and Wizards

Here is the next episode of the Realist series. I'm not sure I like it as much as I like the pilot episode, but it's okay. I also don't love the title, which will probably be the case for most of these episode. (In fact, some of them I may just number because the working title is a spoiler. Not so for this one.)

One of the things I've struggled with with the Realist stories is how much they should be interlocking. Initially, I wanted some big, driving, high-stakes plot to tie them all together. That was the original idea with Sevik. As I've written them, that idea has...evolved. Having the world threatened in every episode would destroy the whole concept of the story, which is that this huge fantasy realm just exists in the background and people don't even notice. If the fantasy realm were consistently an existential threat, this wouldn't be very plausible.

Therefore, what I've settled on is the more meandering format. Each episode is just "a day in the life of a Realist." There isn't necessarily an important goal that must always be achieved. It's just Madison and her friends bumbling, stumbling, learning, and growing in this amazing world. It can all feel a little pointless, but I'm okay with that. It's how life is, after all. Most people's days don't follow straightforward, linear plots. Things happen--interesting things, boring things, things they cause, things they don't, good things, bad things, all sorts of things. Some of them are important, some of them aren't, some of them don't seem to be but are later, some of them do seem to be but aren't. The life of a Realist is much the same way. Except with dragons. And wizards.

Anyway, I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment